The band was first formed in 1939 as the Auxiliary Fire Service Band and was mainly for the recreation of the Firemen serving
at that time.
In 1946 after reorganisation within the Fire Service, the band became known as the National Fire Service Area 14
Silver Band, being still an independent and wholly self supporting body. In 1951, after the introduction of the Fire Service Act,
power was taken from the National Fire Service and handed back to Local Authorities. The band was then known as the Portsmouth City
Fire Brigade Band, a title that the band retained until 1965 when due to the lack of uniforms and the fact that there were no
firemen in the band, the Portsmouth City Band came into being.
The band grew in size, strength and status to such an extent
that by 1969 consideration was given to forming a second band. At this time however, the majority of the band were coming up
to retirement age, so instead the Portsmouth City Junior Band was formed. This was to further the knowledge of the younger members of
the band with a view of them replacing some of the more senior members about to retire. The junior band was successful beyond all
expectations, entering, and in many cases, winning contests and festivals.
In 2016, after many happy decades, Portsmouth City Council decided that Brewery
House in Hambrook Street, Southsea, the headquarters and home of Portsmouth City
Band was to be redeveloped for accommodation. Finding a permanent home for
a brass band is rarely straightforward but after much hard work and searching,
the Frank Sorrell Centre in Southsea became the next step in the history book.
Here are some pictures from our history, or visit the Picture Gallery.